Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Crusade for Children

So... we have been going through the process of learning more about early intervention for children with special needs, thanks to the twins. It was a smooth start, just slower than we'd have liked. In my experience, slow is the nature of a large system with government tentacles. Then, the process got a little confusing, then bumpy and then I hit a very firm wall. I found a hole in that wall and I’m now trying to drag/pull our family through that breach.
When we hit that barrier, I became righteously upset. And when I say that, I mean that I know I am right, so my vehemence to fight for the best outcome is nothing short of a crusade. This expedition has been made up of several skirmishes where the most advantageous opportunities have been presented.
It seems that with every identified request, something new and helpful presents itself. New agencies are identified, new relationships revealed and new contacts are being presented to me. I am discovering what I think needs to be and then it is delivered to me.
Lately, I have come to understand a bit more about advocacy. I understand that I have the motivation and resources to fight for the needs of my children. But what about the other parents who lack those things? What happens to those children? What comes to save those parents?
This crusade has become a passion. It is a passion that Someone is fueling by sending me every need I can articulate. This feels like nothing short of Divine Intervention to fuel this righteous drive. So, I don’t know where it is going, but I am still walking down the path.
I am listening...I just don't know what to do with what I hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment