No, we are lot looking for overpriced plaid shorts~ we went for Baby Boy's autism assessment yesterday. It was a draining 2.5 hours of questions about development, milestones, communication, gestures, attention, language, therapy, and tears. Nick got to play for that time and I only heard him scream once. :) Lunch break, then a 2 hour conference where they delivered the full verdict.
The verdict... Nick is NOT autistic, but has autistic-like language, sensory and self-regulation patterns with the possible diagnosis of ADHD. (guess I need to add that one to the blog's tags, huh?) He is not tantrumming, he is losing control of himself.
We discussed some potential techniques to help him at home and other places, but once again, he is off, but not off enough. There are options, but they are expensive and we are not poor, but not wealthy enough. He's difficult, but not difficult enough. GAP!
Bad News: his language skills will continue to be an issue and while he is doing well with his peers today, he will begin to stand out and differentiate from them in the future making him less social.
Good News: they think my attitude about this is very healthy. I simply had stated that we are still in the gaps so I will keep working to find our way through the valley of dysfunction and support and love him all the more. I guess many parents are responding with self-pity and miserable feelings about how their child is such a burden. Nick is not a breeze by any means, but he gives me so much love back that there is no way I could blame him, resent him or do any less for him in the future than I do today.

This sounds like a good outcome, over all, it is draining and confusing the whole process
ReplyDelete